1. The _______engine is used for alternators and sometimes for main propulsion with a gearbox to provide a propeller of between 90 to 120 r/min (rpm).
C. slow speed
2. Diesel engines are classified as reciprocating internal combustion engines because they _____.
A. use energy from fuel burned outside their cylinders
B. burn fuel in a combustion chamber that moves back and forth
C. burn fuel in a chamber where its energy moves a piston back and forth
D. use a continuous process to impart rotary motion to the pistons
3. Some medium and high-speed diesel engines require reduction gear units to provide a useful propeller speed. In most reduction gears, the bull gear ____.
A. must churn the oil in the sump
B. is connected to the propeller shaft
C. is driven at the highest r/min
D. compensates for alignment variations between the engine and pinion gear
4. Why a gearbox is needed in a ship driven by a medium-speed diesel engine?
A. To reduce the main engine speed
B. To increase the main engine speed
C. To govern the main engine speed
D. To fix the propeller shaft
5._____ are increasingly used as main engine on merchant vessels, because they have a high Hp/Weight ratio.
A. Slow speed diesel engines
B. Medium-speed diesel engines
C. Steam engines
D. Gasoline engines
6. Propulsion of the vast majority of contemporary merchant ships(especially container ships and VLCCs ) utilizes ____as prime mover.
A. gas turbine
B. diesel engine
C. steam engine
D. gasoline engine
7.Typical marine propulsion plants include ___directly coupled to the vessel’s single large-diameter, fixed-pitch propeller.
A. a single, long-stroke, slow-speed, turbocharged, two-stroke diesel engine
B. a single, long-stroke, medium-speed, turbocharged, four-stroke diesel engine
C. two medium-speed, turbocharged, four-stroke diesel engine
D. a variable-speed AC generator
8. With ___,the engine need not to be aligned with reduction gears or propeller shaft.
A. diesel engine propulsion B. diesel electric propulsion
C. steam engine propulsion D. gas turbine propulsion
9. Most often ____is attached to the engine-propeller shaft for efficient electric power generation.
A. a variable-speed AC generator B. a fixed-speed AC generator
C. an air blower D. a DC generator